I was wondering what would you call a person who buys and sales houses and apartments" and "foreign exchange and currencies"?
Actually, I know several terms, but I have no idea how they differ in meaning and what is the common one for each case?

For houses and apartments buy and sales:

a. real estate dealer
b. real estate broker

For currency and foreign exchange buy and sales (in this specific case, I'm not about the official agencies who are dealing with these affairs; but rather I am about those people who are dealing with buying and selling foreign currencies in black market.)

a. money dealer
b. money broker
c. currency dealer
d. currency broker
e. foreign exchange dealer
f. foreign exchange broker

1 Answer 1


A "broker" or an "agent" is someone who organises buying and selling on behalf of someone else.

So, if I want to sell my house, I will talk to an estate agent. If I want to to sell stocks and shares in a company, I'll get a stockbroker. A dealer is someone who is buying or selling with their own money. A car dealer, for example, is buying and selling cars.

A foreign exchange broker (forex broker) works in a financial centre like the City of London. They do trades in currency for worth millions of pounds for large companies. You don't go to a forex broker to buy €500 for a holiday. You would go to a foreign currency exchange, usually at a bank or post office. There are specialist foreign currency exchanges at airports etc. I suppose you could call the person who works here a currency dealer. Terms like "money dealer" put me in mind of an unlicenced guy, selling dollars on a street corner.

  • Does it mean that the owner of a private foreign currency exchange office and his/her staff are called "currency dealers" and those who are unlicenced and illegal who are working on streets corners are called "money dealers" @James K?
    – A-friend
    Commented Aug 8, 2019 at 12:25
  • Also, I wonder what would you call someone who buys a house and sells it in profit with their own money? @James K, as you mentioned, it should be a "dealer", but a dealer of what? "House dealer" or a "real estate dealer" or a house market dealer" or an apartment dealer" etc.?
    – A-friend
    Commented Aug 8, 2019 at 12:30
  • I already mentioned that. That person is a "developer" or a "real estate developer".
    – James K
    Commented Aug 8, 2019 at 12:59
  • A real estate developer would be someone who builds or terraforms on a plot of land; developing the real estate into something else. Someone who simply buys and sells real estate (a might renovate) is usually referred to as a real estate investor. If they do it rapidly (buying, renovating, and then selling in often 60 days or less), they would also be known as house flippers.
    – Luck
    Commented Aug 8, 2019 at 20:27

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .