You can't trust people with secrets these days. The majority [is or are] gossips. which one is correct and why?
I would use "are" treating the sentence as an elided from of
The majority of people are gossips.
"majority" takes plural forms. Not all collective nouns do:
- The army is ready to march. (not are ready)
- The orchestra is tuning up.
- The middle-class are going to benefit from this law.
- The Senate is going to pass the law. (Bu the Senators had to be pushed into doing so.)
- The Yuppies enjoy services delivered to their doors.
There doesn't seem to be a clear rule on which collective nouns take plural forms.