What do you call a place including an office or a room where an artist (e.g. a photographer or a painter) works? I know the word "atelier" which based on Cambridge Dictionary's definition is something literary or based on MacMillan Dictionary a formal word.

However, I need a word which doesn't sound literary or fancy and totally weird in everyday speech to talk about such a place. I wonder what word works properly in this sense if "atelier" doesn't?


1 Answer 1


A studio is a working space for an artist.

  1. a: the working place of a painter, sculptor, or photographer

    b: a place for the study of an art (such as dancing, singing, or acting)

  • 13
    I have a larger vocabulary than most of the people I associate with, and I still had to look up atelier. Almost anyone will understand studio; I suspect that even many of those who do know what atelier means will form a negative opinion of the person who actually uses the word (the politest opinion likely being "stuck-up"). Commented Aug 13, 2019 at 13:09
  • 12
    @A-friend There's nothing wrong with atelier. Except that you, yourself, ruled it out in the question, saying it's literary and that you were looking for something else. Commented Aug 13, 2019 at 14:55
  • 8
    I'm from the US and have literally never encountered the word atelier outside of the video game series. Seems it's a French word that's sometimes used in English, but certainly not in my area.
    – Hearth
    Commented Aug 14, 2019 at 1:16
  • 5
    Actually "atelier" is simply the French word for the space. Using French words, especially for artistic things, can sound more refined.
    – Andrew
    Commented Aug 14, 2019 at 1:53
  • 4
    "Atelier" is used as a professional term in English, but it usually means a group of artists or students working together under the leadership of one person, and usually working as a commercial organisation, for example producing jewellery or fashion. It is not the right word to refer to an individual artist working alone.
    – alephzero
    Commented Aug 14, 2019 at 11:28

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .