What do you call a piece of software inside another software that could be considered a software on its own? I am looking for a language and technology independent word for it. Is there a word for it, the only think I can think of is "part of a software that's also software on its own", but that's too long, I am looking for a single word. I also am trying to find a word extremely general that could be used in almost any context.


"Component", "tool", and "program" are all words for pieces of software that can either stand alone, or be part of a larger software application.

An exception: In Visual Basic, "components" and "widgets" are only available as part of dynamic linked libraries. In programming environments similar to Visual Basic, "components" are not stand-alone programs that can be called from the command line.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .