What the voicing of air from a mouth (without syllable) called? For example when we say the consonant "sh" without a syllable. It's usually happens when you want to quiet a child or something like that (it's almost like a whistling, but it's not exactly the same, or maybe it's a kind of whistling). In some cultures when one wonders on somethings bad or huge he may make such sound. I'm looking for the name for this sound.

1 Answer 1


It's not exactly clear what you mean. When you say "shh" to someone to quiet them, that's called "shushing." When you emit voiceless white noise from your mouth like an H sound, that's called "hissing."


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .