I wonder how would you talk about a voice breaking in young males - around the age of puberty? This is when they lose their high-pitched voices and start to produce deeper sounds. What shall I say:

1- His voice has gotten manly.
2- He has gotten a manly voice.

I am quite confidents there should be an idiom/expression for that, while once I heard something like that; though I cannot recall.

  • 1
    There is a colloquial phrase in this previous English Language & Usage question. Don't use it in polite society. – Weather Vane Aug 26 '19 at 16:42

The idiomatic expression is in your question:

His voice has broken.

Dictionary definition

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.