What would you call a statement aimed at pointing out how someone else is less than someone else, perhaps even in an attempt to squabble the other person.

I don't know whether a precise word for this exists in the English language.


  • Do you have a word for this in your native language? What is that word? Have you tried using a bilingual dictionary?
    – James K
    Aug 27 '19 at 5:35
  • Perhaps such a statement is belittling in an attempt to provoke them, but I don't know if there is a single word. Aug 27 '19 at 7:16

Consider the sentences:

You are so much more of a manager than I am.

I am so much less of a manager than you are.

It means someone is a much better manager than I am, I don't make a very good manager.

Apparently, it's not one word to describe someone who is superior or inferior to someone else, but the phrases might do the job anyway. If they don't, please be more specific about the situation in which you want to use the word you are looking for.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.