As you are well informed, in English, when it comes to an unpleasant repetitive event, as a protest or showing your disapproval, you can use the structure:

Now please kindly help me with these questions:

  1. I wonder if "there" can be replaced with "here" without any change in meaning.

  2. Also, I need to know how can I sarcastically as a sign of surprise and disfavor make an interrogative sentence? I.e. can I say:

    • (There / here) we go again?
    • (There / here) she goes again?

Thank you.

1 Answer 1

  1. The Cambridge Dictionary confirms that you can replace here with there. Note, though, that the dictionary offers another meaning of there you go which is much more widely used:

used when giving something to someone, usually after a request for the thing, such as giving someone goods that they have bought

  1. It's a simple statement- that we are about to embark on the same old nonsense all over again. i don't see that it adds anything to the sentence to make it interrogative, and IMHO it would be confusing to do so.
  • Thank you @JavaLatte, but I forgot to ask if we can substitute "go" with "are" in this sense too.
    – A-friend
    Commented Sep 7, 2019 at 8:55
  • 1
    @A-friend You only say There you are when you are giving something to somebody, or when you find somebody that you have been looking for.
    – JavaLatte
    Commented Sep 8, 2019 at 4:35
  • Thank you @JavaLatte, but I have heard and read "there you are/go" in another meaning too; used when you think you have proved to someone that what you are telling them is right. However thank you very much.
    – A-friend
    Commented Sep 11, 2019 at 9:40

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .