enter image description here

What do you call the battery slot's ends? By that, I mean the spring and the little round flat end for the plus and minus ends of the battery. Do they have a name? I looked up on the Internet, but couldn't find anything.


They are called contacts., or alternatively, terminals.

A battery holder is a cavity or compartment used to house one or more batteries in a piece of equipment safely. The battery holder has flat metal or spring coiled contacts that press against the battery terminals making an electrical contact.

Battery holders and mounts (RS Components)

enter image description here

  • 4
    I was going to suggest another word from your answer, which is terminals. I believe it can be used to refer to the contacts just as well as to the ends of the batteries. – Glenn Willen Sep 17 '19 at 12:28
  • 6
    My 2 cents: Terminals are the ends of the battery itself, while contacts are on the device. Using them interchangeably is acceptable, but less common in my experience. – Aaron Sep 17 '19 at 16:13
  • Using 'positive and negative terminals' of e.g. a battery, DC generator or motor is very common. – Michael Harvey Sep 17 '19 at 19:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.