How can you say that a sensor system uses three different types of sensors? I thought about the composite word triple-sensors, but it doesn't sound like a word that would be used in a technical document.

The triple-sensors system can detect all sorts of threat through the use of thermal, imaging and radar detection technologies.

I can't think of a good adjective for this.

  • Are you looking for a word like multimodal? (Not saying that's it…) Sep 19, 2019 at 5:56

2 Answers 2


I would write:

"A system with three sensor types ... "

Saying "a triple sensor system" (or similar) strongly implies that all three sensors are of the exact same type.


Divergent (Adjective)

-Tending to be different or develop in different directions.

Divergent thinking!

I would suggest you to use something like:

Triple divergent sensors

Defining both 3 sensors in usage and all differs from each other.

  • 1
    To me that would connote that the sensors tend to disagree. Sep 19, 2019 at 5:57
  • In science "divergent" ideas is wellcome yet for people who would like to see it with a negative meaning "it is an upcoming argument". Sep 19, 2019 at 8:01

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .