We sometimes use our eye(s) to draw someone's attention towards something being done or spoken to show as if we don't like it either, or as a taunt, saying:

'Ugh! Just look at this man! What he is saying is!'

What is the particular verb for this action? To give an optic gesture???

  • 2
    There are many, such as "rolled their eyes (in disgust)", "raised an eyebrow", "squeezed their eyes" etc. The rule is to just describe the movement.
    – Bella Swan
    Sep 25 '19 at 6:28
  • 1
    @ Bella Swan I think there must be a particular word used as a verb for this particular action. Like there is a verb 'wink' used as a private signal to somebody, or to show something is a joke
    – xeesid
    Sep 25 '19 at 7:02

You would just say "he/she gestured towards the man with his/her eyes". But there isn't a verb that combines all of these words into one.

Like some of the ideas mentioned in earlier comments, we would use a phrase:

  • focused his/her gaze towards the man
  • raised an eyebrow towards the man

The precise gesture may be culturally dependent, but I think "rolled his eyes" could describe this.

roll one's eyes
To turn one's eyes upward or around in a circle, usually as an expression of exasperation, annoyance, impatience, or disdain.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.