These are placeholder words like "yeet" and "jawn", which have no meaning in themselves, but can take nearly any meaning depending on their context.

What is the term for these sorts of words?


According to Wikipedia, they're simply called "placeholder names":

Placeholder names are words that can refer to objects or people whose names do not exist, are temporarily forgotten, irrelevant, or unknown in the context in which they are being discussed.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.