James is getting a bit frustrated shut up here, he tries not to show it but I can tell - also, Dumbledore's still got his Invisibility Cloak, so no chance of little excursions.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I feel "shut up" is a noun phrase in this context, meaning confined. But I couldn't find it a noun phrase in any dictionary. So, I'm not sure if my understand is correct. How should we understand it?

1 Answer 1


“Shut up here” is a participle phrase, since “shut” is also the past participle of the verb “shut“. Indeed it means confined. Someone has shut him up in Hogwarts or wherever he is, so he has been shut up there.


  • What about 'frustrated' then? I don't understand the syntax of "getting a bit frustrated shut up".
    – dan
    Oct 9, 2019 at 0:56
  • 2
    Frustrated is just an adjective. "James is getting a bit frustrated, because he has been shut up here. He tries not to show it..."
    – pfalstad
    Oct 9, 2019 at 1:14

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .