I'm trying to name a function in a software package. Let's start with some backgrounds. The package provides supplemental functions to multiple upstream packages that train random forests. To avoid duplicated code, I use a function A to convert random forest objects from different upstream vendors into an intermediate object, and then have other functions B1, B2, ... operate on it. The name for Bs have been decided, i.e. featureContrib, trainsetBias. However, I'm struggling to give A a good name.

I have come up with intermediateRF/transtionalRF/transtionRF ("RF" is a widely understood abbr. for "random forest", but them fail to capture A's functionality to take objects of different types, and then convert them to something of a common structure. I would like to emphasis its Polymorphism nature in the name.

Other candidates include middlewareRF/adapterRF, but it seems to implies the resultant object is itself a middleware/adapter that can act on something else, instead of the output of a middleware/adapter. If I were to use this name, then Bs need to be featureContribCalculator and trainsetBiasCalculator for consistency, which would be too verbose.

To sum up, what do you call the output of a middleware/adapter that takes different objects, and then convert them to intermediate objects with the same structure? It's fine to answer with a phrase, but please keep it no longer than 15 characters.

  • It's not clear whether you're looking for a name for A, or a name for the output objects of A. You say both at different times. Could you please clarify this?
    – dwilli
    Oct 16 '19 at 5:39
  • @dwilli I'm naming A, but since I'm using the names of output objects as those of Bs, it's preferable to use the names of output objects of A as its name, for the sake of consistency.
    – nalzok
    Oct 16 '19 at 5:42
  • This seems to me a question more about electronics than the English language.
    – WS2
    Oct 16 '19 at 6:31
  • @WS2 It's software, actually. It's on the cusp of being appropriate here, but what's being asked for is an English term to use in naming a software widget that accurately captures the widget's function. So it does relate to English meaning and looking for the right word.
    – dwilli
    Oct 16 '19 at 19:05
  • I’m closing this question because it doesn't appear to be about learning English.
    – gotube
    Dec 19 '21 at 23:16

If I understand correctly, that type of a thing would normally be called factory - RFFactory, for instance. I don't think that's what you're aiming for, though.

Would 'StandardRF', 'CommonRF', 'ImplementedRF' or 'DerivedRF' work? Does this new object implement an interface? Could you call it 'IStandardRFProduct', or maybe just IRF?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .