Is the casual 'inflated abdomen' of a pregnant woman still referred as an abdomen or it has a specific name? (formally rather than slang). I couldn't find information about that, but it seems that some times it referred as a uterus or womb. Isn't it?

I think that it's not appropriate for a stranger to touch [a ---?] of a pregnant woman, even-though in some of the culture it's considered normal.

N.b. Now I found here that it's referred as 'belly'. That's a slang or formal English?

enter image description here

1 Answer 1


In decreasing order of formality, common and appropriate ways of discussing this body part are abdomen, stomach and belly. Belly is certainly not the most formal term, but I wouldn't call it slang.

Referring to a woman's "pregnant belly" is very common--much more common than "pregnant stomach" or "pregnant abdomen." (See this ngram)

"Inflated abdomen" is not a common or idiomatic term.

Womb and uterus both refer to the internal structure where the baby grows, not anything that can be touched from the outside.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .