Everything I tried didn't return enough results on Google that allows me to say it's widely used in English.

I tried:

Spray the (area, space, place) with water.

Sprinkle the (area, space, place) with water.

Spray water around the (area, space, place).

Sprinkle water around the (area, space, place).

But in fact, people reading this would have a cup of water and not a spray, so I don't know if any of the above examples convey what I'm trying to say.

Contextualizing the question: Imagine I have a cup of holy or consecrated water and I'm using it to cleanse the space I live of negative energy. I'm using my fingers to do this.

  • 4
    'Sprinkle' is common in ecclesiastical contexts; 'asperse' is a more technical term, which is only like to be recognized by members of churches which employ it. Commented Oct 28, 2019 at 14:54

1 Answer 1


If you are spreading the water with your fingers, spread, sprinkle or splash would be a good verb. Spread is a general purpose verb that means to cover an area. Sprinkle usually means spreading slowly and deliberately. Splash usually means spreading quickly and without much thought.

  • Thank you. I've decided for "sprinkle the space with the consecrated water". I've found this in two books about religious practices and I think it might fit the context.
    – Pierre.A
    Commented Oct 28, 2019 at 16:28

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .