Tape them? Plaster them? Stick them over? Is there any one-word way (or a phrasal verb) to describe it? Dictionaries didn't help me

  • I don't know of any specific phrase or word but disable and deactivate would serve. You could also talk about blinding the cameras or putting them out of action. Oct 31, 2019 at 23:15
  • 1
    Maybe vandalise, particularly if it were done for no other reason than to annoy the owners of the camera. Oct 31, 2019 at 23:26
  • Tag could also work, given context. Nov 1, 2019 at 1:57
  • I hear the term "covering laptop cameras" or "taping laptop cameras shut" quite often.
    – user57928
    Nov 1, 2019 at 3:31

1 Answer 1


I would suggest either:

Something about loss of vision: "blocking", "blinding", "covering"

or something tape-related: "masking" perhaps.

Other methods might have their own specific verbs "to spray-paint", "to bag" for example.

  • Blinding works best. Also obscuring.
    – puppetsock
    Nov 1, 2019 at 19:23
  • I liked "blinding". I didn't include "obscuring" because you have to "obscure the camera's view" since just "obscuring the camera" might mean my view of the camera was obscured rather than the other way around. Nov 1, 2019 at 21:04

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .