What is a person called when he carries information between the two people who are not on talking terms.

He is not a broker or a gossipper.

  • 2
    Informally, a go-between. Or choose from many other synonyms in that link. Commented Nov 3, 2019 at 15:51
  • @TypeIA: Please do. I'm not bothered about being "attributed", but be sure to mention that it's relatively informal, in case my above comment gets deleted. Commented Nov 3, 2019 at 16:52

1 Answer 1


Such a person could be called a messenger, an intermediary or (casually/informally) a go-between (courtesy of @FumbleFingers).

messenger: a person who carries a message or goes on an errand for another, especially as a matter of duty or business.

intermediary: an intermediate agent or agency; a go-between or mediator.

go-between: a person acting as an agent.

Here's an example sentence:

Alice and Bob were not on speaking terms, so Chuck acted as a go-between.

  • @ TypeIA. I have accepted your answer and upvoted it too. Commented Nov 3, 2019 at 15:49
  • 1
    @ I believe gobetween is the most appropriate word as Mr Fumble Fingers pointed out Commented Nov 3, 2019 at 16:33
  • 1
    @Englishmonger it depends on the context. For what you describe, "intermediary" is the more formal term, as it literally means the same thing as "go-between". In the context of adjudicating some conflict, you can use "mediator", or, in business, "middleman".
    – Andrew
    Commented Nov 3, 2019 at 18:17

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .