You embed a video and insert text. What do you do with pictures?

I suppose you can use more general terms like 'include' or 'add', but I want to know if there is a specific verb.

1 Answer 1


This is more about IT terminology than it is about English language. As I understand it, the reason that "embed" is used with a video in a webpage is that, for a video to play from a website, the video player must be able to run in the page. You can insert a link to a video on a page which will allow people to download it, or even play/stream it in using a native player - but for it to play in the original page as intended, it must be embedded.

Really then, "insert" (or "import") can be used for pretty much anything that you might bring into a document, or a webpage at the design stage. It only really becomes a different verb if the terminology demands it.

  • Lexico says "text only" (lexico.com/en/definition/insert) Nov 6, 2019 at 11:21
  • @SergeyZolotarev But that dictionary example is not specific to computing. You could insert text into a piece of handwriting by rewriting it. Terminology is often limited to a particular technical application in a subject of study or profession. As such, it is not always included in dictionaries.
    – Astralbee
    Nov 6, 2019 at 12:13

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .