When a person is addicted to something, lets say a drug, and they are deprived of it for too long, they start getting sick, have anxiety attacks and crave for it extremely and uncontrollably.

Is there a word in English for that exact condition?

  • 1
    Withdrawal is commonly used. In [drug] withdrawal, suffering from withdrawal, etc. – Michael Harvey Nov 19 '19 at 12:28

When someone stops taking a drug they've developed a dependence on, they're said to exhibit (drug) withdrawal symptoms, collectively called withdrawal syndrome when they occur together (e.g., alcohol withdrawal syndrome).

Or shortened, as user Michael Harvey says in a comment, the addict is said to suffer from withdrawal.


'Withdrawal' is fine, but colloquially this is known as "going cold-turkey", whether the action is by choice or has been enforced in some way.

  • But mostly, going cold-turkey describes the act of stopping, not the condition or symptoms that he's going through, right? – Bella Swan Nov 20 '19 at 10:00
  • 2
    @BellaSwan No, quite the opposite - "Cold Turkey" actually comes from the physical goose-bumps etc that the addict suffers from, leaving their skin/bodies 'like a piece of cold turkey meat' – Mike Brockington Nov 21 '19 at 13:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.