Is it correct and totally colloquial to ask someone "What are your favourite foods and drinks?" in order to ask about what different foods and drinks they like, not meaning the dishes? or should one use those words in the singular?

  • 3
    It depends on context and style. You could say food items or you could say foods. Some people don't like to say foods, but it's both grammatical and, in some cases, idiomatic. Nov 24, 2019 at 16:39
  • Generally, one would say: What is your favorite food and drink? But Jason is right, it depends. I usually think of it as one type or category of food.
    – Lambie
    Nov 24, 2019 at 17:21
  • Would you then answer that question saying: "My favourite food is chicken and cookies and my favourite drink is orange juice and milk"?
    – zenith3
    Nov 24, 2019 at 18:25
  • 1
    Food is a mass noun, and one of the things that pluralizing mass nouns does is refer to varieties of the noun. So foods means 'different kinds of food'. As for an interview question, if you're worried about nouns, use verbs -- What do you like to eat and drink? You can ask What kinds of things if you want. Nov 24, 2019 at 20:08

1 Answer 1


There's nothing wrong with the sentence you posted (although it sounds a little "heavy" to say), but to be totally colloquial, depending on the context of course, I'd go with something like:

What kind of food and drink do you like?

When asking someone's favourite, I feel that food and drink would rarely be asked about together, but separately as:

What's your favourite food?

What are your favourite foods?

What's your favourite drink?

What are your favourite drinks?

If you were interested in them both together, and how they compliment one another, it would probably be asked as:

What's your favourite food and drink combination?

Or you could even say "combo" instead of "combination", to be ultra-colloquial. :)

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .