What do you call the act of preventing someone of entering the wrong password many times? Sometimes, you get blocked after 5 attempts, what do programmers call the feature of APIs of preventing the number of tries before locking users out the system?

  • What do you call it? In your language? Have you tried a bilingual dictionary? – James K Jan 1 at 1:42
  • An attack in form of repeated password entries is called a brute-force attack.You could derive the feature name from it e.g. 'brute-force attack prevention'. – Ben A. Feb 4 at 15:06

A simple way to call it is account block after X attempts. There is no one word for that as far as I know. So,

Add a feature of account block ...

Yes, it further requires clarification of blocking the account because of unsuccessful attempts... or something like that.

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.