I have a Big Pot in which there is a Big Plant. But I don't know what do we say it in english in my native language, we say it, "Gamla" Also, there is no Flower it! :P It looks like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4z35d4kn2f6b57/Nature-Pot-and-Plant-Photograph-520x693.jpg

  • It's a plant, so 'plant pot'. Telling us what your native language is would also be helpful. – deutschZuid May 14 '14 at 4:10
  • It's entirely proper to call it just a big pot. If you're talking about planting something in it, nobody will think you're talking about a cooking pot. – StoneyB on hiatus May 14 '14 at 4:38

I would call it a planter:

3) A container, usually decorative, for potted or unpotted house plants


You may call it as a plant pot or even flowerpot.

Wikipedia shows a picture of 'flowerpot' which is empty and not necessarily to have flowers in it.

enter image description here

As for the dictionary,

flowerpot (n) - (Horticulture) a pot in which plants are grown.

Plants may or may not have flowers there.

Important- Not to confuse it with pot plant which means...

pot plant (n) - A plant suitable for growing in a flowerpot (especially indoors).

  • Actually a pot plant is something else entirely ;-) – Jim May 14 '14 at 4:43
  • @Jim I defined it but put this additionally as it contains the same words in reverse order. For non-native speakers, I'm pretty sure it'll be helpful :P – Maulik V May 14 '14 at 4:46
  • I'm pretty sure that if people start going around talking about "pot plants" according to your definition They will be misunderstood – Jim May 14 '14 at 4:49
  • 2
    Sorry Maulik, my point is that a "pot plant" almost exclusively refers to a marijuana plant. I don't know any native language speaker who would refer to any plant in a pot or any plant capable of being potted (i.e., houseplants or indoor plants) as a pot plant. – Jim May 14 '14 at 15:01
  • 1
    Many older British gardeners would still use "pot plant" with no reference to drugs, but the "correct" British English term is now "potted plants". (See Google for examples of use). Also, large plant pots for outdoor use are sometimes just called "containers", in BrEng, especially if they are made in a different shape or material from small flowerpots. – alephzero Jun 13 '15 at 22:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.