enter image description here

Look at the picture. There is a round blue seat that belongs to a sofa set. People can sit on the sofa while putting their legs on it for relaxation.

Sometimes, we can see them in the lounge of a bank or a cinema or in waiting rooms in general like in this picture enter image description here

Note: It may or may not have legs, it it does, then the legs should be very short.

What is the round seat that often belongs to a sofa set called?

2 Answers 2


In British English it is traditionally called a pouffe.

I think that some people avoid that word now, and call it a footstool.

  • what about hassock? the same thing?> "ldoceonline.com/dictionary/hassock"
    – Tom
    Jan 8, 2020 at 12:12
  • 1
    @Tom: apparently so, to Americans. To me a hassock is only the cushion used in church.
    – Colin Fine
    Jan 8, 2020 at 16:44
  • @Colin Fine - "I think that some people avoid that word now, and call it a footstool.". Because 'pouffe' (a cushion) is pronounced very much like 'poof', a British hate-speech term for a gay male? Jan 8, 2020 at 18:37
  • @MichaelHarvey: indeed. It's hard to use the word without getting a laugh.
    – Colin Fine
    Jan 8, 2020 at 19:10

Ottoman, the padded, low-lying upholstered chair, got its name from the Ottoman Empire that ruled Turkey in the 1700s.


  • In Australian English we would also use “footstool” and “pouf” (old-fashioned), but ottoman is common too. target.com/c/stools-poufs-accent-furniture-living-room/-/… Jan 8, 2020 at 9:05
  • 1
    If you referred to an Ottoman in respect of that picture, I would not think of the round thing at all: I would suppose you meant one of the couches (though I would not call them Ottomans either). British English speaker.
    – Colin Fine
    Jan 8, 2020 at 10:03
  • To a Brit, an ottoman is a blanket box that goes at the foot of the bed. Jan 8, 2020 at 19:17

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .