I know "Cambridge University" is correct but why don't we use "the Cambridge University".

  • There is no single rule for using article the. It's usually idiomatic and when it's not you can't tell. Jan 8 '20 at 17:07
  • You are on the wrong site. Please read the label. Try English Language Learners, where questions on the use of articles in English must have been asked dozens of times.
    – David
    Jan 8 '20 at 19:14

Using the definite article "the" before a proper noun is unnecessary, since you're generally only referring to one such entity. It would be the equivalent of saying "I'm going to the London tomorrow."

However, if you're using the proper noun as a qualifier for something else, then by all means it should be preceded by the article: "the Cambridge University sports program."

  • Interestingly, "I'm on a course at The Open University" and "I'm on an Open University course" are both correct. Jan 8 '20 at 17:43

As a matter of fact, it isn't correct; the website shows that University of Cambridge is the official name, and we would refer to the University of Cambridge. It is often called Cambridge University in everyday conversation. However some universities do have X University as their official name, see, in which case an article is not needed.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .