Specifically where instrumentation means "the use or application of instruments (as for observation, measurement, or control)". Is there a word to describe someone who performs instrumentation?

I tried looking up instrumentor, for which I did not find anything, and instrumentator, which according to Merriam-Webster means

one that arranges a musical score for performance by a specific group of instruments

  • Not my area of expertise, but might music arranger be the term you're looking for? The act itself could be instrumentation or arrangement, but I'm not sure how much difference there might be between those two terms, for people in that business. Jan 9, 2020 at 18:38
  • I've been a musician for 50 years and have never heard the term instrumentator in any musical sense whatsoever… no matter what Merriam Webster may say. You really need to define what you mean by "performs instrumentation" because an instrument is not only something musical, it could be computing, scientific or other measuring apparatus. Jan 9, 2020 at 19:05

1 Answer 1


Perhaps instrumentation engineer is what you're looking for.

This is from a training website:

What is an instrumentation engineer? Instrumentation Engineers are responsible for planning, installing, monitoring and maintaining control systems and machinery within manufacturing environments. (source)

  • Thanks, I was looking for a single word, if it exists.
    – nsane
    Jan 10, 2020 at 0:23

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .