graduate verb is intransitive and as far as I know, this sort of verbs couldn't be used as a passive form. Am I right?

I have strangely seen it is correct in some website like this:


  • It's one of those usage things. To graduate means to complete a degree. Say "I graduated from XYZ University." Don't get your grammar answers from yahoo.
    – user105719
    Jan 26, 2020 at 9:17
  • The primary meaning of graduate is 'complete one's studies' but, according to online dictionaries, in American usage you can speak of a university graduating its students. Jan 26, 2020 at 9:22

1 Answer 1


That’s not correct. If you “have been Xed” then someone else is doing the X and you are the recipient. For example, I have been released from my obligation. But completing a degree is something that you do yourself, so the phrase is

I graduated University XYZ with a degree in ABC

Of course, since the University is doing the awarding, you could say

I have been awarded a degree in ABC by the University XYZ

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .