graduate verb is intransitive and as far as I know, this sort of verbs couldn't be used as a passive form. Am I right?

I have strangely seen it is correct in some website like this:


  • It's one of those usage things. To graduate means to complete a degree. Say "I graduated from XYZ University." Don't get your grammar answers from yahoo.
    – user105719
    Jan 26 '20 at 9:17
  • The primary meaning of graduate is 'complete one's studies' but, according to online dictionaries, in American usage you can speak of a university graduating its students. Jan 26 '20 at 9:22

That’s not correct. If you “have been Xed” then someone else is doing the X and you are the recipient. For example, I have been released from my obligation. But completing a degree is something that you do yourself, so the phrase is

I graduated University XYZ with a degree in ABC

Of course, since the University is doing the awarding, you could say

I have been awarded a degree in ABC by the University XYZ

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.