I am reading the book "Diary of a Wimpy kid". The author often uses the word "be gonna". And it looks like this word does not carry a semantic load in many cases. Without it, sentences have the same meaning. Google translate also skip this word in translations. Why did the author add this word?
This book is about modern USA kids, so probably it contains a lot of specific kids slang.
Other examples from this book:
- So I realized the only way I was gonna get a chance to listen to Rodrick’s CD was if I snuck it out of the house.
- After a while, we realized the teenagers were going to wait us out, so we decided we were just gonna have to spend the night at Gramma’s.
- So that meant we were gonna have to make a run for it.
- I do feel a little bad, because it looked like it was gonna take a long time to clean up.
- I realized I was gonna have to gain weight for real.