In response to the answers I've received for the question I asked, I want to know one more thing:

[A letter which is not pronounced is called silent, such as 'l' in "talk". Two vowels occurring together are called a diphthong, such as 'ea' in "break". What do we call a letter on which the word ends its sound, such as 'k' in "break"?]

What do we call a letter on which we stop our sound and that is in the middle of the word, as in "b" or "m" in NUMBER.

  • The L in calm is definitely not silent, at least in most English dialects. – TypeIA Feb 14 '20 at 9:28
  • 2
    I don't know about "most" English dialects, @TypeIA, but certainly there is no /l/ in any that I encounter in Britain. – Colin Fine Feb 14 '20 at 9:54
  • @TypeIA: I am more than surprised at that statement. In British English (and that of most of the Commonwealth) the "L" in calm (/kɑːm/) is silent as it is in balm (/bɑːm/) talk (tɔːk/)and walk (wɔːk/). The "L" serves only to modify and lengthen the vowel sound. – Greybeard Feb 14 '20 at 9:56
  • 1
    @Smock: there is no /l/ sound in "talk", in any variety of English that I am aware. The "l" does function as an orthographic device to signal that the "a" has a different sound from how you would read it if there were no "l"; but, as I said to xeesid in my answer, writing and spelling have not much connection with phonology. – Colin Fine Feb 14 '20 at 9:56
  • 1
    What answers? What question did you ask? Was it titled "phonology 1"? Why do I need to look at your user account to find this information? Please add the relevant links IN the question. – Mari-Lou A Feb 14 '20 at 9:58


You need to distinguish between sounds and letters. For English especially, they are very very different. Writing is a technology that has been developed to represent language, but writing systems vary hugely in how they go about representing a language, and how successful they are at doing so.

A silent letter has nothing to do with phonology: it is a part of spelling. Often it is a way of signalling the particular sounds to the reader (eg "silent E" in English), but sometimes it has no effect on reading and is simply a historical accident (eg the K in "knife": it is not sounded, and does not distinguish the word from any other word).

A diphthong is a vowel sound which changes during the course of its utterance. It happens that the word "break" is pronounced with a diphthong /ɛɪ/ in many varieties of English (not all) but that has no relation to how it is spelt: "make" has the same sound. A letter pair like "ea" is a digraph. (It is true that some people refer to it as a diphthong; but in a discussion about phonology it is important to distinguish between sounds and writing). "ou" in "cough" is a digraph which represents a simple vowel, not a diphthing (in all varieties of English, as far as I know). Edit: and "ea" itself represents a simple vowel sound in "bread".

/k/, /m/ and /b/ (the sounds) are called "consonants". /m/ and /b/ are nearly always written with the letters "m" and "b" respectively, and you can call those "consonant letters". /k/ is more complicated: the sound can be written "c" (as in "cat"); "ck" ("back"); "ch" ("Christian"); "qu" ("opaque"); and while the letter "k" is usually pronounced /k/, it is sometimes silent.

I don't think there is a special name for letters that aren't silent in English spelling.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.