Could anyone tell me what is the correct or better name for this gate/door?

They are usually used by old shops in Asian countries (possibly from 1940s to 1960s).

The photo is on this web-page.

large rusty-looking folding window frames


The Japanese variation of these are known as a folding shoji screen.

In Japanese, a 'shoji' is a wooden sliding door with translucent paper on, so a 'folding shoji' is a variation of that. I see your photo doesn't have the paper on it though.

In British English, a similar piece of furniture is known as a room divider. I see that on various online stores they advertise "Asian/Oriental Screens & Room Dividers", so perhaps that is the default descriptive name used, as 'shoji' is probably not widely known.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    I've also seen them called Bifolding doors (even when there's more than 2 sections) or Roomfold doors. – Smock Feb 14 at 14:48
  • 1
    A freestanding piece of furniture like that was traditionally called a (folding) screen in British English. My parents had a fitted room divider in their 1970s bungalow (zigzag like the picture, but made of wood) which we called 'folding doors'. – Kate Bunting Feb 14 at 15:03
  • My aunt and uncle had one in their 1950s semi in Orpington. They called it a 'folding divider'. – Michael Harvey Feb 15 at 9:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.