in‧flate /ɪnˈfleɪt/ verb 1 Image of inflate[intransitive, transitive] to fill something with air or gas so it becomes larger, or to become filled with air or gas

It took us half an hour to inflate the dinghy.

Her life jacket failed to inflate.

de‧flate /ˌdiːˈfleɪt, dɪ-/ verb

1 [intransitive, transitive] if a tyre, balloon etc deflates, or if you deflate it, it gets smaller because the gas inside it comes out OPP inflate → go down, let down


In everyday British English, people usually say an object goes down rather than deflates:

It looks like the air bed has gone down.

Look at the picture

enter image description here

What to call a thing such as a balloon or tire that is in the process of losing its air inside it: "the balloon is deflating"?

And this picture

enter image description here

"the balloon is fully inflated"?

  • I'm not sure if I understand your question. Are you asking if "deflating" is the correct word for the action? It is. Do you mean something else?
    – JKreft
    Mar 20, 2020 at 8:36
  • @JKreft, yes, does the 1st picture show "the balloon is deflating"?
    – Tom
    Mar 20, 2020 at 8:47

1 Answer 1


Your understanding / usage of deflating seems to be correct. In the first picture, the balloon is deflating (if it is still losing air). Some might refer to it as a "deflated" balloon (emphasizing the past loss of air).

In the second picture, the balloon is "inflated". It is "fully inflated" if that is its intended maximum size.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .