Noun - part of speech in grammar denoting a figurative or real thing or person.

Could I replace a one-word noun with multiple words representing the same part of speech? Example:

Panther strikes.

The noun is 'panther' because panther is an animal.

Big pink panther that like striking strikes.

'Big pink panther that like striking' is an animal. Could I say that it's a one part of speech? If so, could I say that it's the noun and make replacement with one-word 'panther'? Then, I could use as a subject any multiple-words noun, if so.


1 Answer 1


Replacing a noun with a more complex expression is using a "noun phrase". For example,
"That movie struck me as funny."

We can expand "movie" by turning it into a noun phrase: "That Peter Sellers movie 'The Pink Panther' struck me as funny."

So, the answer to your question is "Yes, we do it all the time."

  • What similar English language mechanisms like noun phrases do we have in presence? Mar 15, 2020 at 12:18
  • 1
    There are phrases for each of the five parts of speech: nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, and prepositions. Check out the Wikipedia article "phrase". Mar 15, 2020 at 16:41
  • Could I use all adjective grammar rules for the adjective phrase, for example? Mar 18, 2020 at 9:28
  • I'm not sure that the usage rules about the order of different kinds of adjective would apply. What rules are you thinking about? Mar 18, 2020 at 16:18

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .