If you put an end to a breach (in the sense of "unauthorized access", for example to a computer server), what verb could I use? Maybe, 'seal'? Or maybe simply 'close'?

2 Answers 2


You can say

We have patched the breach.

This meaning of patch is in common use in computer technology. It is a noun and also a verb, as Lexico shows:


4 Computing
Correct, enhance, or modify (a routine or program) by inserting a patch.

Microsoft's monthly system update schedule is called Patch Tuesday.


You could just say "we have put an end to the breach".

However, you could also say that you have secured the system.

  • I need 'breach' as the object. Please suggest one or more verbs Mar 14, 2020 at 18:04
  • I suggested a verb. it is in italics If you need to clarify your question, please edit it.
    – James K
    Mar 14, 2020 at 18:07
  • 2
    I would recommend close. Mar 14, 2020 at 18:16
  • @JamesK You should've read the second AND the first sentence of my comment Mar 14, 2020 at 18:53
  • @KateBunting What do you think about 'seal'? Mar 14, 2020 at 18:53

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .