What to call someone who (silently, but loud enough that the talking person hears it) cries out "wow" (throughout another person's monologue) all the time as an expression of delight or admiration (?) The talking person is someone of authority.

  • Well, this person must be really zealous to be so excited all the time. May 26 '14 at 9:00
  • Is that person really surprised or just falsely praising?
    – Maulik V
    May 26 '14 at 9:01
  • @snailplane - I was thinking about a lickspittle, but wasn't sure actually.
    – user76935
    May 26 '14 at 9:02
  • 1
    If it's annoyingly repetitious, and sounds somewhat immature, I might say this person talks like a Valley Girl. If you, like, Google the expression talks like a Valley Girl, you'll find all sorts of background information and news on Valleyspeak, including – OMG! – research by linguists.
    – J.R.
    May 26 '14 at 12:52
  • 1
    @user76935 - It wouldn't be a compliment, but, yes, you could still say it. (I'd have to hear the "wows" myself to see if my suggestion would be a good fit.) As the article I linked to says: "The dialect is usually associated with female speakers — hence the name — but the research, which Ritchart is presenting at a meeting of the Acoustical Society of America in San Francisco on Thursday, suggests that uptalk is not limited to women. The differences in pitch were less exaggerated and less frequent with the men in the study, but they used them, too." Gnarly, dude.
    – J.R.
    May 26 '14 at 14:27

They sound like they are a sycophant.

Some slang terms:

They could also be a brown-nose / brown-noser. That's pretty vulgar. Their nose is brown because it is firmly wedged in someone else's ass crack.

Or they could be a suck-up. They are sucking up. That's also vulgar.


I would like to suggest 'wowser', but that Australian English word already means about the complete opposite (more information here and scroll down a bit).

  • 2
    Obviously, a wowser needs wowsees. ;-) Jun 22 '14 at 2:54

An adjective that might fit is infatuated.


Considering your response to my comment, the context seems of a person who unnecessarily praises (or simply agrees) with exclamation or surprise to the person who's an authority.

I'm not sure there's a term that represents a person calling out wow every time (and in this case, you may simply go with your own version) but there's a good term for a person who does it just to praise falsely. This often refers to a person who falsely praises his/her boss by simply agreeing to whatever the boss says.

One of the terms is flatterer

flatterer - A person who uses flattery

The other similar terms include obsequious and adulator.

I consider that in this context, wow is an expression of surprised admiration.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.