We swing on the swing.
Glue( to use glue) with Glue.
Juice (to squeeze to make juice) to make juice.

What is the name for these kind of sentences that the noun and verb are the same?

  • 1
    It is called 'conversion'. Also known as 'zero derivation' or 'verbification'.
    – user178049
    Mar 30, 2020 at 13:35
  • @user178049, I think the OP is asking about the name of the sentences in which one word is used as a noun as well as verb.
    – Void
    Mar 30, 2020 at 13:57
  • @decapitated I don't think there is a technical name for that. It is just a sentence.
    – user178049
    Mar 31, 2020 at 0:03
  • There is no term for this type of sentence.
    – Lambie
    May 10, 2020 at 14:25

1 Answer 1


I don't know whether it's what you are looking for, but they are examples of tautology - saying the same thing twice in different ways - which is an error. If you refer to glueing something, it's superfluous to add 'with glue'; to juice something is, by definition, 'to obtain juice'.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .