I have seen:

Fill out the form in block letters.


Write your name in small letters.

But I wonder what I should say

when I am using both.

Is it,

running letter?

Thanks in advance.


The technically correct term to use about the size of letters is case. Capital or block letters are called upper-case. Small letters (many of which, btw, are the same height as upper-case) are lower-case. Writing that is made up of a mixture of the two is called mixed-case.

The term running letters actually refers to cursive writing, where the majority of letters are joined to their neighbours. There is some possibility for confusion because, generally, lower case writing can be cursive, but upper case writing is generally not cursive.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .