I suggested this modification(improvement) to a post, though I don't know the term/expression to refer to this kind of modification.

enter image description here

I said the following to suggest an answerer do something like above

How about having the answer in a good paragraph?

and got the response

A paragraph denotes a change of emphasis.

Obviously, I didn't express my suggestion clearly. That's why I'd like to know that term.

I googled a bit and got some hits, e.g. "typography", "typographic design", some of those look like font design which is not what I want either.

Could someone please give a hint? Thanks in advance.

  • Maybe "layout" or "format". Commented Apr 1, 2020 at 23:00

1 Answer 1


This all falls under formatting, and indeed that is the wording that the Help Center uses:

How do I format my posts using Markdown or HTML?

  • Thank you. Is it too much for some answerers who is not familiar with Markdown or HTML? This is English Learner sites, some answerers is not necessarily a software engineer, right?
    – WXJ96163
    Commented Apr 1, 2020 at 23:41
  • But you were just asking about vocabulary suggestions, weren't you? Commented Apr 2, 2020 at 0:08
  • @WXJ96163 It can be hard to keep track of what symbols do what, but the toolbar makes that mostly unnecessary. Also being a programmer doesn’t mean you know how to format because I see formatting mistakes all the time on Stack Overflow :p
    – Laurel
    Commented Apr 2, 2020 at 0:40

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .