I understand the meaning, But I don't know what is the name of these structures in grammar? and I'm not sure if "structure" is the right word for explaining my purpose. Please correct me if there is a better word to describe my question :)

Here is the whole sentence:

Entente is not a formal treaty but an agreement arrived at through diplomatic conversation, which leads to common action and policy.

the "to arrive at an agreement" is the original collocation/structure. But in the new form, we have "the agreement arrived at". What is this structure called? is it some kind of "inversion"?

  • "the "to arrive an agreement" is the original collocation". No, it is not--"to arrive AT an agreement" is correct.
    – Victor B.
    Apr 6, 2020 at 16:34
  • Thanks. You are right. That was a typo. I've edited it.
    – Amir Irani
    Apr 6, 2020 at 21:18

1 Answer 1


This is a noun phrase "an agreement", modified by a non-finite clause "arrived at through diplomatic conversation".

The non-finite clause is a participle clause, and it is a passive clause since the grammatical subject "An agreement" is the object of the verb phrase "arrive at".


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .