What do you call it when loads of amendments are put forward in order to obstruct a bill? Filibuster? Stonewall? I believe there's a special term for it.

1 Answer 1


Googling "amendments to stall bill", I've run into "amendment gridlock".
thehill.com "Energy bill stalled..."

"Filibuster" means giving a long speech. "Stonewall" is for any sort of obstruction where the metaphor fits.

  • So 'stonewall' fits, doesn't it? Apr 16, 2020 at 14:56
  • Not well, I think. It connotes something less active than a flurry of amendments - something more like a stone wall, like ignoring or refusing to answer or to act in any way. Apr 16, 2020 at 16:45

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .