An event that occurs halfway through is referred to a midterm event. Like a midterm exam. What if it occurs at 1/3 of the time, or at 2/3.

  • And at 0.49999? Lexico says of mid: "Of or in the middle part or position of a range" and it also says "In the middle of, in the course of." Perhaps you could say "part way through". May 11 '20 at 20:51
  • 2
    I've taken plenty of courses with exams 1/3 and 2/3 of the way through, and they were always just called midterms. (Ususlly "first midterm" and "second midterm" respectively). May 11 '20 at 22:14

"A third of the way through, " or

"At the one third point"(little awkward),

"Around the one third mark", (slightly informal)

Halfway is common enough to be used directly. Other fractions can follow:

"A quarter of the way though"

"A fifth of the way,"

"At the 15% mark,"


For exams, Midterm is a special name. There are no "tri-term" exams and such. Just Midterms and Finals. Outside of tests, elections, or perhaps pregnancy, I've not heard Midterm used.


"Mid" does not have to be the exact middle of something. Two dictionaries I checked have "at or near the middle" and "at the middle of or during".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.