As per a post, a specific type of phrases like "Apple's taste", "Book's cover", "Boss's car" are called Possessive Nouns. I understand this though I am not sure if it is a grammatical term.

How do I call the first part of that specific kind of phrases, like "Apple's", "Book's", "Boss's"?

  • "Possessive nouns" is correct. May 14 '20 at 0:17
  • @JackO'Flaherty Both "Apple's taste" and "Apple's" are called Possessive nouns?
    – Piete3r
    May 14 '20 at 0:20
  • 2
    "Apple's" is a possessive noun. "Apple's taste" is a noun phrase. "The apple's taste is sweet." That sentence has a noun phrase as subject, with "Apple's", a possessive noun, acting as an adjective. May 14 '20 at 0:31

I agree that "apple's" in "The apple's taste" is a possessive noun; it however is not an adjective. The adjective form is just 'apple', as in "The apple taste".

  • 2
    Apple is not an adjective: it fails most of the tests for adjectives. It is a noun modifying another noun. But I agree that the apple's taste and the apple taste are different in structure and meaning.
    – Colin Fine
    May 16 '20 at 7:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.