I was thinking about movable/moving keys, but it's possible to confuse that with keys that can be removed from the keyboard and placed on a different one, or in a different position, I'm afraid.

"Physically pressable" doesn't cut it, as the keys already have to be described as simply "pressable" - in the sense that they are interactive.

  • I am not 100 percent sure what you are looking for, but what is the problem with "key" itself or "keyboard"? – Cardinal May 14 '20 at 20:19
  • 1
    All keys on keyboards on computers can be pressed. So, what exactly do you mean? – Lambie May 14 '20 at 20:44
  • 1
    @Lambie, I'm not sure, but I think they might have meant digital keyboard vs. physical keyboard, i.e. the different between the computer on my laptop and my phone. – applemonkey496 May 14 '20 at 21:10
  • A physical key is an electrical switch. That term is never used for the "virtual" keys or buttons on a touch screen. If they can be removed from the keyboard they are even more like switches – or did you mean the key tops can be removed? – Weather Vane May 14 '20 at 21:36
  • I'd like to see the sentence that you are trying to write. Is there a single adjective in your native language? – James K May 14 '20 at 22:52

There are many kinds of keyswitch, from plastic membrane, through "tactile" (with a metal dome to give a click), to piezoelectric to


That's a phrase I saw looking through some electronic supplier catalogs. It might be a good starting point for the specification, or as a term for further search.

  • This could have worked, but the actual travel distance is much smaller. – budgiebeaks May 15 '20 at 12:18
  • Although just saying that "the keys are pressable and physically travel" is pretty much what I was looking for. Thanks! – budgiebeaks May 15 '20 at 12:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.