Is there a verb for slowly descending? For example, when a snowflake is slowly descending from the sky, is there a verb we can use instead?


There are a couple of possibilities. Both are from Merriam-Webster.


1 a : to become driven or carried along (as by a current of water, wind, or air)
      // a balloon drifting in the wind
2 b : to move or float smoothly and effortlessly


The snowflake drifted down.


2 a : to sink gradually or to the bottom


The snowflake settled to the ground.

| improve this answer | |
  • "Filtered down" has a connotation of slowness too. – Jack O'Flaherty May 26 at 5:39
  • @JackO'Flaherty I wouldn't use filtered to talk about a falling snowflake though. Only some kind of liquid and for smaller distances. – Jason Bassford May 26 at 12:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.