Is there a word for large group of horses? I know there's "flock" for birds, but I am wondering if there's a similar word for horses and land mammals.

  • 2
    Closed before I could answer. There is a particular use of stable which means a group of horses. Although it usually means a place where a horse is kept, it goes further, as Lexico says: stable² 1.2 The racehorses of a particular training establishment. A memorial service is planned for Lyon next July at Monmouth, where he trained a small stable. May 26 '20 at 20:49

The word you want is herd:

1 a : a typically large group of animals of one kind kept together under human control
      // a herd of cattle
1 b : a congregation of gregarious wild animals
      // herds of antelopes


I see a flock of birds and a herd of horses.


In addition to Jason Bassford's excellent answer, you could also say:

1. Troop: A group of people or animals of a particular kind.


Example: A troop of horses.

2. Stud: A collection of horses or other domesticated animals belonging to one person.

Example: He kept a large stud of racehorses.

A stud of horses implies that the horses are kept specifically for breeding. You can't use stud in general sense.


  • 1
    "stud" imples that the horses are kept specifically for breeding.
    – James K
    May 26 '20 at 21:37
  • @JamesK, Indeed, but without further context, all the options are equally acceptable.
    – Void
    May 27 '20 at 4:24
  • 1
    I think it is worth you including that in your answer. You can't use "a stud of horses" in general sense, It implies more than just "a group".
    – James K
    May 27 '20 at 5:51

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .