What is the term for a text box on a webpage/form/etc. like a comment box where a user can type anything they want? The term I'm thinking of doesn't sound right.

I want to call this a free form text box but that doesn't sound correct.

Thanks for any terms you suggest.

3 Answers 3


"Free-form" is exactly what I would call it. Then I would be using it in a technical conversation.

There's no non-technical equivalent. If you want to not use "free-form" you probably have to spell out what you mean in a longer phrase.


Why not just use the simple term "text box"? That seems to be the most appropriate term and is quite likely to be understood by everyone.

I don't think "free-form" is a commonly used term. On its own, it sounds strange to me:

Please enter your comment in the free-form below.

You can also use "text field", which sounds more natural than "free-form", at least to me. But what is natural really? Who is your audience?

"Free-form text box" or "free-form text field" would be fine, but they just add more words that are not necessary to say what you are referring to.

enter image description here


In technical terms, we use “text area”. It’s commonly used to enter comments and suggestions.

Definition of Text Area:

A text area is a large box that allows you to enter multiple lines of text.

According to w3schools.com:

A text area is often used in a form, to collect user inputs like comments or reviews.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .