Is there a term for the "profile picture" which is given randomly to the users who join an online forum or social networking sites such as Hangouts and the very own Stack Exchange, where we get a random picture.
Take an example of my profile picture of this site given below. What do we call it?

Stack Exchange identicon

1 Answer 1


These are the possible terms which come to my mind:


An Identicon is a visual representation of a hash value, usually of an IP address, that serves to identify a user of a computer system as a form of avatar while protecting the users' privacy.


In computing, an avatar (also known as a profile picture or userpic) is a graphical representation of a user or the user's alter ego or character. It may take either a two-dimensional form as an icon in Internet forums and other online communities.

This is an identicon:

enter image description here

This is an avatar:

enter image description here


• Identicon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identicon

• Avatar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(computing)

  • Note that an identicon is also an avatar. (Just a confusing one.) But an avatar is not an identicon. Commented Jun 12, 2020 at 7:15

You must log in to answer this question.