enter image description here

What do you call this thing (on the picture)? Laundry and water is put in it.

  • 2
    Depends on the size, which you haven't indicated. If it's about half a metre across or a little more, I'd (UK) call it "a washing-up bowl".
    – Colin Fine
    Commented Jun 12, 2020 at 15:52
  • Laundry can be put in it. Washing-up bowl? Ok, Thank you!
    – Vova
    Commented Jun 12, 2020 at 16:02
  • 1
    Doing a reverse image search, I find it listed on websites of some online shops as a plastic wash basin. Looking that up on Google Images, I find pictures of similar containers.
    – user3395
    Commented Jun 12, 2020 at 16:05
  • basin. But not a bowl: bowls are used in the kitchen and are generally smooth.
    – Lambie
    Commented Jun 12, 2020 at 19:35

1 Answer 1


It depends on the size. "Basin" is probably the most appropriate term for a very large, relatively shallow bowl-shaped container. If it's small, it's a bowl or a dish, depending on the intended use and where you live.

Without scale and context, it's hard to say what the proper term is.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .