What's the name of the part between the fingertip and hyponychium?

I want to describe some kind of feeling there. I know I can say the phrase "This feeling is in between the fingertip and the hyponychium", but I'm looking for the term for this place. I googled for my question but I found nothing about it what I'm looking for.

In this illustration, the area I'm looking for is noted with the letter e (the photo was taken from this book, but this letter notes it for other purposes).

enter image description here

  • I'd call it the finger tip. But you apparently think the finger tip is somewhere else. What part are you calling the finger tip?
    – The Photon
    Commented Jun 18, 2020 at 3:58
  • What I understand it's called fingertip, is shown on the diagram was attached by @Astralbee. It's a little bit lower to where I'm asking about. The place between the fingertip and nail is the place I'm looking for. Commented Jun 18, 2020 at 12:21
  • That area is apparently called the hyponychium, although I'll admit to not knowing that term until reading your question.
    – The Photon
    Commented Jun 18, 2020 at 14:36
  • 1
    The fingertip isn't a single point, it's the whole surface of the finger, from the last joint to the edge of the nail.
    – The Photon
    Commented Jun 18, 2020 at 14:38
  • Thank you for your comments. Anyway, check my answer bellow, I found the accurate term. It isn't hyponychium (which basically means 'under the nail'), because hyponychium is very close to the nail. See here: i0.wp.com/post.healthline.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/… Commented Jun 18, 2020 at 14:45

2 Answers 2


The area marked 'e' on your diagram is what most people would call the "fingertip".

"Fingertip" is not really a medical term so there is no specific limits to the area it refers to. It literally means the tip of your finger. I would say that the surface area of the top of your finger, where you have a fingerprint, is your fingertip. This anatomical diagram agrees.

enter image description here


Most of the people will call it fingertip, even though it isn't specific. Anyway medical professionals that want to be more specific will call it distal pulp. But it isn't a common term in spoken English. So If the purpose is spoken English, it's better to use the fingertip, but if the purpose is medical English, then the distal pulp is the accurate term.

For reference and more information - see here.

enter image description here

  • Distal basically just means "further away from the spine", if I recall correctly. And proximal means "closer to the spine". Colloquially you could say something like "the tip of the fingertip" or "the fingertip just below the nail".
    – The Photon
    Commented Jun 18, 2020 at 18:26

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .