Is there a word for the leather that covers a dead person's face? I am pretty sure there was a word for that, but I can't remember what it was.

  • 1
    What leather? We don't usually have them in Britain. – Michael Harvey Jun 21 '20 at 8:24

I've never heard of leather specifically, or even of just the face being covered, but a general term for something that a corpse is wrapped in is a shroud:

1 : burial garment : WINDING-SHEET, CEREMENT

: a sheet in which a corpse is wrapped

: a shroud for the dead
especially : CERECLOTH —usually used in plural

: cloth treated with melted wax or gummy matter and formerly used especially for wrapping a dead body


Never heard of leather either...

There are death masks made of wax or plaster....


But I think it is more likely that the word you are looking for is not for bodies' heads but babies'... a cawl

A caul or cowl is a piece of membrane that can cover a newborn's head and face.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.